Thursday, October 29, 2015

Whatever is true

For the last few days I haven't been able to get those three little words out of my head..."Whatever is true..."

They are the first few words in Paul's reminder to us to think on "Whatever is true, honorable, just, etc..." in Philippians 4:8. 

That verse often seems like a tag-on at the end of an amazing book--I have often thought as I read the last chapter of Philippians that it seems like a series of postscripts rather than a cohesive thought. But this time as I thought about it I changed my mind. 

Paul starts chapter 4 with an exhortation to two women with rather unpronounceable names who could be anyone of us. Two women who are not getting along despite their otherwise faithful service in the Lord.

It struck me as I read the first few verses and then verse 8 that perhaps there was more of a thought flow here than I originally gave Paul credit for--many of our disagreements and difficulties with fellow believers come because we fail to follow instruction number 1--"Whatever is true--" Instead, we draw conclusions, and make assumptions and assign motive to behavior-- instead of meditating only on the truth.

How many of our difficulties with other Christians would come to a screeching halt if we stopped telling ourselves a story and instead listened to their story? 

Sara Groves puts it beautifully in her song, It's all right here,

"Every heart has so much history
It's my favorite place to start
Sit down a while and share your narrative with me
I'm not afraid of who you are"

No comments:

Post a Comment