Friday, February 22, 2013

Five minute fridays: what mama did

I saw my friend Ali's post on this prompt and I knew that I needed to write this--because today is my momma's birthday. 

My momma carried me 41 1/2 weeks and labored over 24 hours for me. She gave up her nursing career to raise me. She worked a crazy overnight shift Friday night into Saturday and then came home and cared for her stubborn, bottle-refusing, infant daughter. She led me to Jesus in our little blue kitchen in the middle of making pies. She became camp nurse so that her little one could go to camp and still have the comfort of having momma near (I didn't go to camp without her until I was 15!) She drove me everywhere and made that space the place to share everything that was on my heart. She loved my dad and together they gave me the stability of a happy home. She challenged me, rebuked me, corrected me and encouraged me. She got up at 5am with me everyday for 6 months or more to pray for me and trust God with me for each day. She loved me enough to let me go, yet also loves me enough to let me come home anytime I want. She was my role model, as nurse, as mother, as wife and friend. I thank God for her always and wish her a very happy day!


2 comments: