Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Everything is sacred

Maybe you know the song,  "Everything is Sacred" by Caedmon's Call? If you don't check it out and keep the tissues handy. 

I love that song--it honors the role of moms and that is something we cannot do enough. 

But the song is hard for me too, because I am not a mom and I don't have those same moments to call sacred in my life. I am not cleaning up after small children, or cooking for them, or weaving gospel truths into their lives in ways that they can understand. 



Nope, instead 5 days a week I wrench myself out of bed at the last possible minute, rush around--making coffee, making lunch, and doing my make-up in the car as I drive the 30 minute commute to work. 

I am a nurse and I love my job. But it is a job--complete with the good and the bad, the ugly and the beautiful, the hard and the easy. 

But it struck me as I listened to that song the other day--that the idea that everything is sacred is not exclusive to this beautiful vocation called motherhood. 

Colossians 3:23-24 says,  "Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ."

The Lord Himself sanctifies all our work as service to Him. Not just the beautiful moments when we get to witness for Him or pray with someone, but all the moments He claims as His. Our days, our lives are sacred because He is Lord of them all. Do we realize this daily?  Do we work with our true Master in mind or as "men-pleasers?"

I ask these questions of myself and I am cut to the heart--because so often I do not realize these things--I serve myself instead of Christ and do not allow Him to sanctify my life. 

I am reminded of another song by Jason Gray that says "Nothing is wasted, nothing is wasted, in the hands of our Redeemer, nothing is wasted." He wants to redeem our days for eternity--whether we are cleaning up puke, or mucking out stalls, or creating works of art--May He be glorfied in our service!


No comments:

Post a Comment