Friday, July 19, 2013

I am your reward

I was reading Genesis 15 today and something struck me that I had never seen before (by the way, isn't that wonderful! The Living Word of communicates to us in new ways every time we read it by the power of the Holy Spirit in us!) 

Genesis 15:1-2 After these things the word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision, saying, “Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, your exceedingly great reward.”
 But Abram said, “Lord God, what will You give me, seeing I go childless, and the heir of my house is Eliezer of Damascus?”

The Lord God of the universe, the creator and sustainer of all things, tells Abram that He is his reward, his treasure and Abram says, "what will you give me?" 

Isn't that like us though? We accept the grace of God, the free and glorious gift of eternal life in Christ Jesus and then we say to God, "what will you give me?" 

Perhaps the better question would be, "What can I give Him?"

The words of this chorus by Barry McGuire sum it up well: 

What can I give to the King
Give to the One who has everything
What can I give, what gift can I bring
What can I give to the King;
What can I give to the King?

VERSE 1
Give Him a heart that is opened up wide,
Give Him a life that’s got nothing to hide;
Give Him a love that is tender and true
And, He’ll give it all back to you,
Yes, He’ll give it all back to you.

(CHORUS)

VERSE 2
Give Him all glory, His people on Earth
Give Him all praises this day of His birth
Give Him all honor in all that we do,
As He’s given His life to you,
As He’s given His life to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment