Sunday, February 22, 2015

I don't know the way

Recently I have been listening to a lot of Andrew Peterson's music and today I can't get the song "Holy is the Lord" out of my head or heart. 

The song is the story of Abraham's journey up the mountain to offer his son as a sacrifice. I recently heard Andrew perform this song live at a concert and he pointed out that unlike the rest of us, Abraham did not know how the story was going to end. We know from the book of Hebrews that Abraham trusted that God was able to raise Isaac from the dead--but even with that trust the journey up the mountain must have been heart-wrenching. 

I've been thinking a lot about this story --the journey up the mountain that we are all on. I don't know how my story, or anyone else's story is going to end here on this earth. I know, like Abraham, that my God will raise the dead, and take us home to heaven. But in the midst of the struggles and the sorrows of life, I don't know how the story will end. 

I feel like Abraham, called to make a sacrifice--mine may not be a tangible one, but it is precious nonetheless. And like the words of that song--written as though from Abraham's heart, I too sing, 
"Holy is the Lord, 
Holy is the Lord, 
and the Lord I will obey. 
Lord,Help me I don't know the way." 

I don't know the way--I don't know how to even surrender this sacrifice. And then I am reminded that on that Mountain the Lord was first called, Jehovah Jireh--the God who provides, or another paraphrase--The God who Sees to it. The Lord God is able to provide a way for me to lay it down; if I will just obey. 

Lord-- you are the God who sees to it. Lord I pray that You would provide the means and the grace for surrender. 



No comments:

Post a Comment