Thursday, February 19, 2015

Fasting for Lent

My heart is often drawn to Isaiah 58 during Lent, at least in the last few years, as I have come to appreciate Lent for what it should be--40 days to prepare our hearts for the greatest celebration of our most precious HOPE the GLORIOUS RESURRECTION of the LORD Jesus Christ! 

Isaiah 58 always seems to put Lenten fasting in its proper perspective. 
I will not fast from food, as I know my heart would treat that like dieting--putting the focus back on me. So many of the things that I considered giving up only seem to smack of legalism and trying to be good enough on my own--and I need to learn more of His grace. 

So this Lent, I will not give up anything, except perhaps by default, as I seek to add in more time with my Savior, and more service to His people. I want this Lent to draw me close to the Lord Jesus, to cause my heart to overflow with His grace, and to learn to show His love to those who walk this journey alongside me. 

"And the Lord will guide you continually
    and satisfy your desire in scorched places
    and make your bones strong;
and you shall be like a watered garden,
    like a spring of water,
    whose waters do not fail." Isaiah 58:11



No comments:

Post a Comment