Thursday, January 22, 2015

Serving your Ultimate Master

Tonight I was thinking about a lesson I learned back in high school and one that I think I need to learn again---

My Junior year in high school I had two teachers that I really had a hard time with. One was my choir director--she had a tendency to scream and yell when we weren't doing what she wanted and it made me start to dread chorus. The other was my European history teacher--he was a bad teacher and I was a smart enough kid to be annoyed and upset by it. 

For a while I went to both classes with a chip on my shoulder--I would sing in chorus but without any joy--I either lived in fear that she would yell or in anger because she did. And I did nothing but complain about European history. 

Then one day something changed. I don't remember if someone said something to me, or if I read something in my quiet time that reminded me, or if it was just the still small voice of the Lord reminding me of what I already knew--

"Remember Who you serve."

That little phrase whispered to my heart, totally changed my perspective. I went to chorus and sang my heart out--because after all--were we not created to worship our Creator--and part of that is using the gifts that He has given us! I went to European history and listened and learned and was challenged by my relationships with the other students. 

My daily grind of school work took on whole new meaning as I daily was reminded that I was there to bring honor and glory to the Lord Jesus--not to please a teacher, get a good grade, or make someone like me. 

The last part of Colossians 3 is paraphrased this way in the Message and I think it says it well.

"And sing, sing your hearts out to God! Let every detail in your lives—words, actions, whatever—be done in the name of the Master, Jesus, thanking God the Father every step of the way.  Do your best. Work from the heart for your real Master, for God, confident that you’ll get paid in full when you come into your inheritance. Keep in mind always that the ultimate Master you’re serving is Christ."

No comments:

Post a Comment