Saturday, September 24, 2016

Busy in our waiting

This past week at our Bible study we were looking at Mark chapter 1--where the writer looks back at the prophecy of the coming of John the Baptist--600 years beforehand. And then I read Psalm 105, which recounts the history of the children of Israel. I was struck how busy God is in out waiting. 600 years passed from the time of Isaiah's prophecy until it was fulfilled in Mark 1. 600 years of waiting for the Messiah--600 years of marriages, birth, death, harvest and planting, freedom and exile, war and peace--600 years of hoping that He would come and change everything. 

600 years of carefully orchestrated genealogies--of God removing and raising up kings, allowing  war and proclaiming peace. Setting the boundaries of our habitations as that when the fullness of time had come everything was in place. 

2,000 years later I grow weary with the waiting---sometimes I feel almost hopeless--LORD how long?! And what am I doing in this mundaneness--show me Your glory that I might see You in the NOW. Sometimes my life seems so trivial and the things that anger, excite, or move me are not much in the light of eternity--

But the same God who spent all of history matching couples and moving families so that a Jewish carpenter named Joseph would fall for a beautiful peasant girl named Mary--is at work in the mundane moments of my life--

Nothing is wasted.
 All is sacred.

No comments:

Post a Comment