Monday, February 1, 2016

Camp

I have been thinking a lot about Camp these last few weeks--I guess since the College and Career retreat. I attended the dedication of the new chapel barn and was reminded of how great the impact of camp has been on our family.

My grandpa was involved in the founding of the camp way back in the 70s. He and my grandma have spent countless hours pouring themselves into the work that needed to be done to keep the place in good working order. My parents met at camp and basically did all their dating serving the Lord together there. 


My earliest memories of camp are a few weeks before I accepted the Lord Jesus as my Savior. I remember a teepee and two adults, a few other kids including my cousin Josh, and my friend Lexi. And I remember learning this simple chorus, "My heart was black with sin, until the Savior came in, His precious blood I know, has washed me white as snow. And in God's word I'm told I'll walk the streets of gold, I'll grow in grace each day, as I read and pray." A few weeks later those words would finally sink in and I realized that I needed a Savior to save me from my sin. 

It was a joy to hear my cousin Josh share that he came to Christ that same week as a result of those messages. 

I remember our family working together at camp--this is also one of my earliest memories. When I was somewhere between the ages of 4-6 my dad and grandpa went down to work on the new bathhouse. I got the job of picking up all the nails that fell to the ground. I can still remember how grown-up and special I felt sitting on the counter in the kitchen with all the men listening to Jim tell stories.

I also learned to overcome fears while at camp--starting from the time I was very little. I remember going down to the swimming hole with my cousin Josh and him trying to persuade me to go down the water slide. Camp had this great waterslide--a plastic pool slide at the top of the hill leading down to the swimming hole that spits you out onto plastic sheeting that takes you the rest of the way. Josh must have been pretty persuasive because the next thing I remember is sitting on top of the plastic pool slide saying, "I can't do this!" And the next moment I am flying down the slide toward the water yelling "Josh!!!" He had seen my hesitation and pushed me!

I learned about Bible study and prayer, about loyalty and friendship. 

I remember Friday night sundaes at the A-frame, where Mark would ask a question of the night and we would share our thoughts and our hearts. I remember one night when the question was "What, aside from your salvation, are you most grateful to the Lord for in your Christian life?" The answer I gave has always stuck in my mind--maybe because it is always true--but I am so thankful that He saved me knowing full well that I would do most of my sinning after I got saved and that His grace is sufficient for these things!

I learned to work hard and to see the needs of others. I learned to have fun while doing that too. I learned to appreciate learning new skills and being given the opportunity to use them. 

I learned that breakfast sausage is the best bait for catfish. I learned that siding with the boys team was ALWAYS a good idea--especially when they are all family. I learned to paddle-boat. 

I went on the Haggan-hike. I canoed on the Susquehanna. I learned to pull pranks. 

I learned that "without ME you can do nothing." I learned to lean on the Lord. 


No comments:

Post a Comment