Thursday, July 26, 2012

What to do?

 Reading recently about the plight of the people of Haiti and feeling the twisting, aching of my heart for this hungry world.
Listening to a sermon this past week by David Platt and feeling the weight of the magnitude of our mission "Go ye into all the world..." and stirred by the burning in my heart ignited by a glimpse of His glory.

 This week by force and by choice I am taking it slow--I have made no plans. I have been enjoying the simple and the mundane. I have watered flowers. I have walked the dog. I have done the dishes. I have fed the fish. I have folded laundry.

 And while I have enjoyed those things, and I have thanked the Lord for the simple peaceful moments that He brings, I have felt trapped. While thousands die for lack of physical food and thousands pass into eternity without the Bread of Life, I am caught in the mundane. I wash the dishes. I take out the trash. I check the mail. And my churning heart cries out "What does it matter!?"

"Lord, what do You want me to do?" my heart cries. And the answer comes: "He has shown thee, O man, what is good and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with thy God." (Micah 6:8).

Because the truth is even foreign missionaries wash dishes and do laundry, and I think that may be it is not so much about what I do so much as who I am. The Lord is concerned that my heart be one that is full of mercy, that brings forth acts of justice and words of love. And perhaps most of all that my heart is bowed before Him and I walk daily with my Lord.

Wherever I am called, whether that be here or there, the Lord wants a heart that is devoted to Him and when my heart is in the right place then the "doing" will follow. It is not as much a question of what I do(--if I know that I am where the Lord has called me to be), but how I do the things that He lays before me.

No comments:

Post a Comment