Sunday, October 28, 2012

Eyes to see

Fear obstructs our vision and spoils our view--let me illustrate

I was flying to Toronto in a small and I mean, small plane! There were 18-seats, 20 if you count the pilot and co-pilot and only 6 of those 20 seats were filled.

We had to walk out on the tarmac to get to the plane and the weight of my backpack made me wobble as I walked up the stairs and ducked my head to go in!

We took off and for once, I did not feel the fear that usually floods me at take-off, instead I felt a thrill of excitement as we raced down the runway and took to the sky.

My excitement vanished a few minutes later as we hit a spot that was a wee bit bumpy. It truly was only a wee bit--I have heard the horror stories and this was nothing, but one little wobble was all it took and my heart was in  my throat. 

My eyes were closed to all around me except the jerking of the plane, and the flashes of lightning! I was sure that we were flying through a thunderstorm and I was terrified!!

When I finally relaxed for a moment and the bouncing ceased--I saw what I had been missing--

First of all the "lightning" that I had been seeing was merely the wing lights flashing through the clouds. My fears were based on a reality that existed only in my mind--not in truth. 

And what I saw as I looked out the window was the breathtaking beauty of a sunset from above the clouds!!

And then the words of Psalm 139 came to me "If I ascend into the heavens You are there!" And I realized that while physically my fears had kept me from seeing the beauty of God's creation that  spiritually my fears had blinded me to the fact that He is with me wherever I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment