Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Forgiveness is the gift of Christmas

I was reading through 1 Chronicles the other day and I came across something so startling that I had to read it again to be sure that it said what I thought it did

"These were born to him (David) in Jerusalem: Shimea, Shobab, Nathan and Solomon, four by Bath-shua, the daughter of Ammiel."
1 Chronicles 3:5

You may be looking at that verse saying, "Huh?"

It was not the more well known names that caught my eye---we all know who Solomon is but the name right before his that made me catch my breath. Nathan--where had I seen that name before?

Flip back a few pages and read this: 2 Samuel 12

Nathan--the prophet whom God called to call David out on his sin with Bathsheba, the wife of Uriah.

Nathan--the one that pointed out to David the gravity of his sin.

Nathan--the one who had to tell David that because of his sin his son would die.

Looke back at the verse in 1 Chronicles 3--what is it that David named his son? Nathan.

Nathan--the name that for David spoke forgiveness from the Lord.

Nathan--the name that remind him of the greatness of the Lord he served.

Nathan--the name that spoke to him of the seriousness of sin.

He named his son Nathan. Who can really say why David did that, but I submitt that every time David said that name, every time he called his child to him, he was reminded of the Lord had had forgiven him and called him to Himself.

What does Nathan mean?
   Gift of God.

God's gift to us this Christmas is that same all encompassing love and forgivness that He offered to David--even more fully evident now in the person of the Lord Jesus Christ who is the gift of God.

Will you accept His gift?

No comments:

Post a Comment