Wednesday, April 18, 2012

5 loaves & 2 Fish

* the above image is "St.Peter's fish" caught fresh from the Sea of Galilee. A similar fish may have been a part of the boy's lunch that was offered to the Lord.



I started today wanting to be left alone. No reason in particular. No event or stress that I can lay my finger on that made me want to slip into my quiet corner at the office and talk to no one. But of course being left alone in a helping profession is impossible and today was one of those days where everyone wanted a piece of me.

Jesus had days like this. In Matthew's gospel chapter 14 we see recorded "a day in the life" of the Lord Jesus. He has just heard about the execution of his cousin John the Baptist. He gets in a boat and tries to get away but the crowds follow Him. And what does Jesus do? Does He lose His cool? Does He ask them to go away? Does He plead for their mercy on His heavy heart? No, it says "He was moved with compassion for them, and healed their sick."
Do I see the interruptions in my day with the eyes of Jesus? Am I moved with compassion? The answer, all to often is, No. Rather I see the interruptions as inconvenience, frustrations in my way of accomplishing my plan. Lord give me Your eyes that I may see! And Lord, may I daily be reminded to surrender all.

Or maybe I am like the disciples in the next part of the story. I see the crowds. I even understand their needs. But when the Lord asks me to help them, I say "Lord, all I have is 5 loaves and 2 fish." And sometimes I stop right there. I assume my inadequacies disqualify me for service. Lord, I don't know how to _______; I am not smart enough for ________; All I have is ______! The Lord knows our weakness. He remembers that we are but dust. So let me turn my 5 loaves and 2 fish over to Him and see what mighty things God can do!

Thankful Thoughts for this evening:

Making someone else's day with simple gifts and homemade cake on their birthday

Advocating for someone else's best interest and succeeding

We sang "He is Lord!" and those words make everything right!

Singing "Immanuel."

Practicing openness & honesty with my sisters in the Lord

Sharing cake with friends

Reading these words on my lunch break: "Peace is My continual gift to you... I have designed you to need Me moment by moment."

Reading this blog www.aholyexperience.com

Having the joy of eating lunch with a fellow believer

1 comment:

  1. Love reading what is on your heart, Megan! Inspired and reminded to be thankful daily, especially in the little things.
    xo,
    kristen
    p.s. excited for our townie breakfast soon!!! :)

    ReplyDelete