Thursday, April 26, 2012

Grace

This painting has been one of my favorites for years. It hung in my grandma's kitchen and as a child I remember it being the one constant about her house. My grandma moved a lot and no matter where she lived this painting hung in a prominent place. I loved this painting. Perhaps because the man looked so kind. Perhaps because in my child-mind I associated him with the grandfather I never knew. And perhaps because I loved the image of work-a-day faith--praying to the Lord as a habitual thing; more important than the breakfast before him. 
I saw this picture displayed tonight where else but my favorite blog: A Holy Experience and decided that it was time that I look it up. I found a website immediately dedicated solely to this one painting. And what I found encouraged my heart and I hope it does yours. This painting is entitled "Grace." 
The word grace is often used to simply describe the prayer that is said before a meal and while this may have been the artist's intent in naming this painting "Grace" I submit that this painting speaks of a deeper and higher Grace. The Grace of knowing the Almighty God, Creator and Sustainer of life; Friend of Sinners and Savior of the world. To have free access into the Most Holy Place--to bring our prayers and petitions before a Holy and Righteous God and to know that He hears and He cares is a piece of this Amazing Grace. 

One of my favorite hymns listed below:

Unbounded Grace

Unbounded Grace it reached to me
When hope was Gone from view;
In my Despair Christ came to me,
as He alone could do.

Grace was for me the only way
My guilt could find relief;
My destiny was changed that day
I reached out in belief

God's grace does not on me depend
It's God who is my Stay
His love is offered without end, 
He walks with me each day

The Universe with joy will ring
when grace has won the day;
As all creation joins to sing
"Praise God, who paid the way!."


No comments:

Post a Comment